The laughter coming from the villages we visit will melt your heart. Although they live in one of the poorest provinces, they are not all that different from the kids here in Australia in regards to having dreams, hopes and goals for their futures.
A lesson most of the kids don't get is how to brush their teeth and basic nutritional education from their parents. In a village where the average daily wage is $1/day and many men go fishing daily to put food on their tables, providing dental care to themselves and a family are just not priorities as they haven't yet learnt the benefits of good oral hygiene.
The adults have very poor oral health and desperately require quite extensive dental treatment and ongoing oral hygiene instructions. By providing dental treatment and ongoing dental support to a complete family we hope to change a whole families perspective on the overall health benefits that good oral health can provide them.
Dental Care is just not about having straight white teeth from a clinical perspective it is about reducing the risks of:
Heart Disease & Stroke Risk
Male & Female Fertility
From a cultural perspective it is about personal presentation to help them with finding good jobs and young girls being about to find kind and caring husbands rather than horrible men that will treat them poorly due to their looks.
You can support the dental health of a family up to 8 people from as little as $12.87/month for 1 year. With this you will ensure they each receive:
- Check up by a Solar Smiles Dental Charity Dentist
- Full mouth charting to give the Solar Smiles team historical details to compare and contrast in future visits
- Up to 3 fillings (although our team wouldn't leave a child in need without if not covered by sponsorship)
- Any extractions required (not including specialist referrals to Phnom Penh)
- 4 toothbrushes with plastic travel cases - protecting from environmental factors
- Upto 30 tubes of fluoride toothpaste for the family
- Oral Hygiene Instrustions - teaching them how to brush and information on diet. eg acids and sugars
- Plaque disclosing tablet (pink & purple dye test) to show the family where they have and haven't brushed as a teaching aid
What you receive in return:
- Personalised thank you photo of each member of your sponsored family in the dental chair with their treating Dentist and Dental Assistant
- Detailed treatment record showing what was required and treatment delivered. A list of any treatment that requires future treatment on subsequent trips.
ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE
(2.5% of the total donation ($3.86) will be taken by Rotary Australia World Communtiy Service for administration to give Solar Smiles Dental Charity Tax Deductability within Australia).
Obviously we are open to 1 off donations but would really prefer $12.87/month set & forget donations, to be able to give the family long term ongoing dental care just like families in Australia receive.